Sunday, November 11, 2007

HCGS Blog

10 Nov 2007 Saturday

This is the start of an experimental blog for the benefit of the
Honolulu County Genealogical Society. At the board meeting today I offered to host this blog as another means of communication, in addition to our Newsletter "Ke Ku'auhau" ("Genealogist" in Hawaiian), our website www.rootsweb.com/~hihcgs and the use of e-mails, and telephone for that matter. Our monthly meetings are always full of so much interesting information that time just flies, and so much more could be said. Even our optional after-meeting lunches don't give us enough time to talk it all out. So you all are invited and encouraged to make comments, and if you've got news or want to talk about a new subject feel free to mention it as a comment on any subject already published, and I will try to start a new thread.

Basically I am new to this, so bear with me. Blog sites are free and easy to start at www.blogspot.com and if anyone is interested in starting their own personal blog - just give it a try at that site. I do have my own blog at http://www.anotherdaywithdonna.blogspot.com/ and you can go there to get an idea of my "journal" and family history site.

Today I will put down two of my favorite websites for your perusal...
  1. I listen to Lisa Louise Cooke on my iPod. She puts out a podcast called GenealogyGems. You can listen to them at her website, http://www.genealogygems.tv/ or find any number of interesting things to investigate there. Her latest project is a video on how to make a genealogy wreath. Her genealogy tips are real gems.
  2. http://www.rootstelevision.com/ is where you can find our own "Genealogy in Hawaii" 6 minute video, with stars, Georgia and Tom Bopp.

OK, please add comments below and let me know what you think of all this :-) ---------Donna Hague Wendt
Send an e-mail to me at donwen AT aol DOT com (no spaces and substitute @ for AT and . for DOT) if you are experience problems or have questions.

9 comments:

Donna Hague Wendt said...

Tom and I both made comments yesterday to this first blog, but as I was "fiddling" around with the title of the blog, I lost it all. So I'm learning!

Donna Hague Wendt said...

Tom's comment was: "Well, I'll add the second comment. This blog has great promise as a method for improving the communication among the members of HCGS. Whether it works depends on how many people read it, so come on, everybody."

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to have a space. Alan Toft said he couldn't obtain much Canadian info. There is a new website at: www.thatsmyfamily.info

Wisconsin archives are at:
http://digitallibrary.wisc.edu/1711.dl/wiarchives

A new site to me anyway is at: Geni.com Aloha, Joann

Donna Hague Wendt said...

I tried the excellent Canadian website at www.thatsmyfamily.info and it came right up with a 1799 land petition for my Simon Stevens in Nova Scotia!
I couldn't get to the Wisconsin Archives at that address, and the www.geni.com looks like an interesting free site. Thanks for the comment Joann. - Donna

Jan Everly said...

Nice job, Donna!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ladies

No, I think I said I didn’t know much about finding Canadian info and I wish I spent more time in Canada so I could use the resources available, like my local Family History Society. Sheer incompetence on my part!! :)

It's pretty bad when I've lived there for 34 years and I can’t remember how to order a BMD certificate!! I did order one a few years ago and I can’t remember how I did it!!

Many thanks for this - I'll take a look. I have this first cousin twice removed. Thomas Burgess Toft, who died in 1961 in a mental home in Ponoka, Alberta, only a few miles away from where I lived from 1974 thru 1995. He emigrated in 1928 from Liverpool on the White Sat liner 'Celtic'. I need to find the death of his wife, Ivy, and whether they had any children.

I also need to find the death of my great uncle, Leonard George Paice. My paternal grandmother's brother, who emigrated about 1911 (I only found his wife's emigration so I presume she followed him - they had married in Warrington, Lancashire in 1911) - I know they had 2 daughters and I found them in 1931 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He may have passed away by then as his wife was the main person listed, although he was there in 1920.

Thanks again - now I must get back to work!!

Cheers .. Alan

Harriet said...

Thank you Donna for creating the terrific blog for our HCGS. This is very exciting.

I see Alan posted about Canada research. I too am researching Calgary, Albera and Winnipeg, Manitoba. You may already have checked the websites below, but just in case....

CANADIAN CENSUS:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/index.html

Re: Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-500-e.html or announced in their new at
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-203.002-e.html.
Its listed on the ArchiviaNet at http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/index-e.html

I am going to Eastern Europe in March...I know brrrrr...so if anyone has information and/or advice I'd appreciate hearing. Also if you have done any research in Warsaw, Poland.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you on our new "HCGS Blog".
Harriet

Georgia Bopp said...

The blog is a great idea. Now I just have to learn how to use it.

Thomas MacEntee said...

Aloha Donna

Just wanted to say "nice blog" and wish you good luck. I am new to blogging as well but have been a genealogy and family history buff for over 10 years.

If you need any help, especially from someone in the computer field like me, just let me know.

Mahalo

Thomas MacEntee
http://destinationaustinfamily.blogspot.com